Family survive fire accident at Mponela, Dowa

Written by Chinsinsi Cheketa:

Three members of the same family are battling for their lives at Dowa District Hospital (DHO) where they were referred to, from Mponela rural hospital, after their house caught fire because of petrol which was being kept in their house.

According to Mponera Police Station Public Relations Officer, Macpatson Msadala the Incident occurred at Mpapa village in the area of Traditional Authority (T/A) Mponela Tuesday.

Msadala has identified the victims as Mazuzo Chimutu the husband, his wife Chinsinsi Mathias and a three-year-old boy as Collings (full particulars not advised) all from Mpapa village in the area of T/A Mponela in the district.

Msadala: Well-wishers took them to the hospital.

“On the said date and time, the wife (Chinsinsi) was busy doing some household chores in the house using a charcoal burner and, in the process, the house caught fire due to fuel which was in the same house”, narrated Msadala.

He added that all the three were severely burnt and well-wishers took them to Mponela rural hospital where they were referred to Dowa DHO.

Recently, Kamuzu Central Hospital (KCH) through its Director, Dr Jonathan Ngoma decried registering increased cases of burns caused by petrol fire.

Dr Ngoma said since July 28th, 2023, the hospital has registered five deaths and three serious injuries involving three families.

He appealed to the public to avoid keeping petrol in houses to prevent injuries and loss of lives.

Related Articles

Back to top button