Written by Ivy Tunkete Mwanyongo:
As Malawians continue expressing different reactions to MultiChoice Africa Holdings withdrawal of its DSTV services in Malawi, the government has pledged to engage concerned stakeholders to resolve the issue.
Information and Digitalization Minister, Moses Kunkuyu said the government understands that there are other Malawians who enjoyed DSTV services, as such, the decision would affect them.
He said, “The issue affects both parties. Despite that there is a law that needs to be complied with, Malawians need DSTV services, and some may also lose their jobs at the company”.
Nkunkuyu added that it is the government’s mandate to ensure that communication service providers are offered a friendly working environment.
MultiChoice Africa Holdings Tuesday announced the withdrawal of its services in Malawi, following a court injunction that was obtained by Malawi Communications Regulatory Authority (MACRA) prohibiting adjustments of the DSTV tariffs.
In a statement, the company clarified that MultiChoice Malawi does not independently offer DSTV services to the public and thus cannot set or adjust tariffs. Instead, the company follows directions from MultiChoice Africa Holdings.
However, the company has emphasized that those with active subscriptions for the DSTV service will continue to receive the service until the current 30-day viewing cycle concludes.
Earlier this year, MACRA also penalized MultiChoice Malawi for adjusting DSTV tariffs without obtaining prior approval from the regulatory body.